Friday, December 10, 2010

Closing Thoughts

Well, this is my opportunity to reflect on my semester in India and put down my thoughts on paper. Without trying to be overly profound (although it is difficult when trying to communicate what God has taught me while I am here) I will share a bit of my experience.

Contentedness Feels Relative Sometimes, But Does It Have To Be?

The title of this section kind of says it all. People say, “It’s all relative,” and at times that is true, for example in India the UP is not the Upper Peninsula but Uttar Pradesh, and “cracker” is not a condescending term used to describe shady white people, but rather fireworks. In my brief travels outside of the U.S. it seems that being content is relative sometimes too; I’m content living with fewer luxuries in the developing world, but when I return home I lose that attitude of gratitude.

It’s amazing how great a hot shower feels when you take one at a fraction of the frequency that you’re accustomed to. It’s amazing that a plate of rice and dal can taste as good as a nice big steak (well maybe not quite). It’s great having a nice, dry, warm bed after monsoon, and it reminds you of how much you have to be grateful for. I’ve always wrestled with the passage from Luke 12:48, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Well I’ve certainly been given much, but I am only beginning to hold up my end of the bargain by doing ministry not to try and earn something from God, but out of my understanding of the depth of God’s LOVE for me and the many BLESSINGS he has given. It’s all about being CONTENT with what you have and GRATEFUL for God’s PROVISION. My hope now is that my gratefulness is not dependent on my country of residence, but even when I return and drink water straight from the tap, that I would still be OVERWHELMED daily by the AMAZING God that we serve.

The Shadow Proves the Sunshine

There is a Switchfoot lyric, “The shadow proves the sunshine,” I think in so many ways that has been an accurate description of how my faith has been impacted during my time in India. There are certain truths about who God is that have become personal to me, not just words on a page or orthodox theology, but they mean something to me because I have seen first-hand the practice of idolatry and false religion. India is a nation where Christianity is the fourth or fifth largest religion, so the religious culture is a bit different than America. Hindus worship idols of metal, wood, and plastic created by human hands. Contrast that with the fact that we can have a personal relationship with the ONE TRUE LIVING God. Muslims work hard to pile up as many good works as they can, hoping that when they stand for judgment it will found that what they did on earth will be enough, but we have a God who sent His Son to pay our debt IN FULL and be our RIGHTEOUSNESS, so we can be CONFIDENT in our SALVATION and our works are driven by His LOVE for us.


“The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father’.”

-Romans 8:15

3 comments:

  1. yes.

    Miss you man, can't wait to hear how you have been changed for the better in person.

    Praise Jesus!

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nate, I couldn't find ur email in my phone, so I thought I'll just drop in a line here. It's good knowing u brother. Ur humility and ur zeal and being true to urself is contagious. Continue to pray for me... I will do too. Have a safe flight home.
    By the way, this a good article. Bless u brother.

    ReplyDelete