Saturday, October 30, 2010

Learning a Language

Well I started Hindi lessons this week, it is with a private tutor and one other intern. We'll meet twice a week for an hour or so each time, while I attempt to teach myself as much as possible between meetings. Language learning is one of those things that I think certain people are gifted with, I don't think I am one of them, but I am excited to give it a shot.

For those who think I get to hike around the Himalayas all the time, well you'd be wrong, I've also been working recently as well even though it has recieved little mention in this blog. We are very close to publishing our design report for the ministry that we visited back in September. I have been working a little bit in Google Sketchup which is a free piece of software used for 3D renderings of drawings(amongst other things). One of my work tasks this past week was to create a 3D site plan from our survey data using SU. This will be used for the 3d architectural renderings of the buildings on the site.










Posted below are a couple more photos taken by another intern on the trek. Looking back on that week I must say I have a whole new respect for the power of mother nature, and how important it is to be properly prepared(but not over-prepared because then your pack gets heavy).























Indian Minute
I thought it would be fitting to have a share a few hindi phrases. Spelling is phoentic(for me) since Hindi has it's own script.

Aap kaise hain? - How are you?
Mai thik hoon, aur aap? - I am fine and you?

Aap ka naam kya hai? - What is your name?
Mera naam Nate hai. - My name is Nate

Aap kahan ke hai?- Where are you from
Mai America ke hoon. - I am from America

Aap kya kartay hain? - What do you do?
Mai engineer hoon. - I am an engineer.

On of the interesting things about Hindi is the word order. For most sentences the following order is correct:

Subject + Object + Verb

So you have to get in the habit of Yoda speak.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the language learning thing man. Some people have it, I too lack it.

    ReplyDelete